We get it…doing homework doesn’t always sound that appealing, but it can certainly go a long way. In the web development world, this is certainly the case.
In many instances, we’ve come across situations and a false perception that creating and launching a website is as easy or quick as turning a magical switch (and believe us, we wish we had such a switch!).
From our extensive experience in web development, creating not only content, but a relevant and attractive content, is absolutely one of the most time-consuming tasks when launching your online presence. This means that you have to really think about a good balance of content that won’t bore (or even scare) your target audience while, at the same time, balance it with visually appealing images that make sense. As it has been said before, content is king and picture is worth a 1,000 words.
With that, here are a few things you ought to think about before even engaging with an agency like ours – and of course, we’re here to help you along the way with questions and as your website comes into fruition.
As previously mentioned, you need to create you content. While we don’t provide content creation services yet, there are tons of web content creation services out there (and hey, we may even start offering this in the future or partnering with an agency to make your life even simpler). As you’re creating your content, think about a few things:
- Target audience – think about who your potential users are, as this is critical to make your content relevant and enticing. Are you targeting a specific user group, region or demographics?
- Competitors – especially if you’re selling a product or service, make sure that you understand your competitors. Who are they and what’s their competitive advantage? What to their website look like and how are they engaging with their potential clients? Be sure that you do some “stalking” so that you can learn how they work and how they’re positioned in the online market you’re about to embark on. When engaging with us, we’ll also do some competitive research for you, but knowing your competitors will certainly help and go a long way.
- Don’t beat around the bush – potential visitors have a short time span, and for that reason, make content easy to read, simple and short. In other words, get to the point quick and drive them to a specific set of actions such as, for example, to help drive a purchase of your product
- Keywords – these are a small set of crucial keywords that will help your website with search engine optimization, or SEO. While you don’t want to get carried away using keywords in every sentence, you do need to plug keywords in your content to help you rank better – search engines love this! And, research for the right keywords is an essential part of finding the right keyword. This is where we can come in and help – check out our web strategy and design services.
- Think big picture – as you start creating your content, you need to think about your site layout, and, of course, we’ll certainly help you. For example, what pages do you want? Do you want to capture potential client e-mail addresses? What type of experience are you looking for?
- Brand Identity – your brand is everything…it’s your reputation and it’s what will set you apart from your competitors and, by the way, the reason why customers will come back for more, OR not come back. This means having a logo, and thinking about how you want to brand your web presence is essential to survive in the online world. Also, this means you need to have a consistent color palette and an established typography (think font styles, weights, etc.) on your website so that it doesn’t look like carnival when users come to your website. The good news is that we’ll handle this for you: check out our brand identity services.
- Responsiveness – everyone, and I mean everyone, is on their mobile devices, may it be their cell phone or tablets. In fact, there are 2022 predictions that at least 50% of all e-commerce sales will come from mobile. For that reason, and especially if you’re planning on launching your online shop, you must think about responsiveness – this means that your website has a great experience whether you’re on a laptop, table, or mobile. When creating content think about the overall user experience, and we’ll take care of the rest.
- Get Social – these days being social is a must…yes, we mean Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and so on. Be sure to create your social media presence, and that these profiles are also cross linking with your website. With millions of active users in social platforms, don’t forget that social media is a fantastic avenue not only to engage with clients but also to enable sale opportunities.
Lastly, and to help you through your online journey, download our simple questionnaire so you can think about your long and short term goals. This exercise is great and will go along way! And…you’ll get extra points if you have this questionnaire filled out when you engage with us. Let’s get started.